Friday, February 20, 2015

Veggie Heavy Sweet Potato Lamb Shepherd’s Pie

We got this really great pot for Christmas – not last Christmas, but the one before that – and ever since then, I've been wanting to make a Shepherd’s Pie. Trust me when I say that this pot is just begging to cook a Shepherd's Pie. 

I’m embarrassed to say that it’s taken me this long.


Since we decided not to do anything too elaborate for Valentine’s Day this year, I decided I wanted to (yes, finally) make a Shepherd’s Pie. 

Since this dinner was over a year in the making, I knew I had to make it good.

Veggie Heavy Sweet Potato Lamb Shepherd’s Pie: Packed with tons of veggies and made with lamb, this easy stew is special enough to make for a celebratory dinner, yet is comforting enough to make any night of the week.


I decided to use lamb, a protein that feels special enough for celebratory dinners like this one, but also holds up so well in comforting, hearty dishes. And because a 3 ounce serving of lamb provides nearly five times the amount of the omega-3 fatty acid, ALA compared to the same serving of beef, incorporating lamb in our Valentine’s Day dinner, or such a heart-focused meal, felt appropriate. 


Veggie Heavy Sweet Potato Lamb Shepherd’s Pie: Packed with tons of veggies and made with lamb, this easy stew is special enough to make for a celebratory dinner, yet is comforting enough to make any night of the week.

I added a carrots, celery, and peas, and then topped the lamb stew with one of my favorite vegetables, sweet potatoes. The result made me wonder why I didn’t make this sooner.

Veggie Heavy Sweet Potato Lamb Shepherd’s Pie

Packed with tons of veggies and made with lamb, this easy stew is special enough to make for a celebratory dinner, yet is comforting enough to make any night of the week.


Veggie Heavy Sweet Potato Lamb Shepherd’s Pie: Packed with tons of veggies and made with lamb, this easy stew is special enough to make for a celebratory dinner, yet is comforting enough to make any night of the week.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 pound ground lamb
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
½ cup low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup frozen peas
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.     Fill a large pot with water and add the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

3.     Meanwhile, in a oven-safe pot, such as a Dutch oven, saute onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in olive oil until softened.

4.     Add lamb, breaking apart until cooked through, about 7-8 minutes.

5.     Add tomato paste, oregano, thyme, and flour. Stir until mixture thickens, about 1 minute.

6.     Add broth and peas. Allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes.

7.     Drain the water from the sweet potatoes, and mashed the potatoes until smooth and fluffy. Stir in two tablespoons of butter.

8.     Top the lamb, vegetable mixture with sweet potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes, and then broil at the end of baking time for an additional 1-2 minutes.

Enjoy!

Disclaimer: While Lisa and I are consulting dietitians with the Tri-Lamb Group, we are sharing this recipe simply because we want to!

2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful pot and a pretty pie. I love cooking with ground lamb. Can't wait to make this. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that Staub pot is gorgeous! I can't decide if I want a Staub or Le Creuset more, they're both very sturdy and good quality pots that I would love to add to my kitchen one day. I'm a vegetarian but I would love to try a vegetarian version of this- I love how veggie filled this is!

    ReplyDelete